What to pay attention to.
Scammers are becoming much more sophisticated with digital technology that’s why it’s becoming increasingly important for Coeur d’Alene Retirement Communities to remain aware in order to not get scammed.
Senior citizens are more susceptible to fraud
Older individuals are more prone to being likely targets and victims of theft, fraud, and cyber attacks. This remains to be a general issue that many elderly faces. Their heightened susceptibility lays in the fact that most, grew up in a society in which everything was more open, trust was more frequently present. Good relationships were more difficult to compromise, scams were less frequent, and better understood by seniors. However, due to technological developments, seniors are more likely to become victims of fraud.
How to avoid scams for senior citizens
Many senior citizens keep quiet about their day to day lives, and what they do with their financials such as purchases. Many senior citizens place a lot of trust in their environment. At Bestland, we screen and monitor all of our staff in order to ensure that our senior citizens are safe and are less likely to be susceptible to scams, identity theft, and just being ripped off in general.
Here are some tips to avoid being scammed as a senior citizen.
- Make sure to consult with your family in regards to financial decisions that could have a heavy impact on your overall life, as well as those close and dear to you.
- Pay close attention to suspicious behavior. Background checks are extreme, however, they should be conducted when, and where necessary.
- Ask your friends and family for help in bridging the gap between recent technological developments, and what you are familiar with.
- Never give out important identity information, as well as financial information to anybody who seeks to discover it online through unconventional means.
- Telemarketing is a big industry in which senior citizens are susceptible to scams. Common crooks like to mask themselves as salespeople or individuals representing other institutions, with the sole purpose of ripping off senior citizens.
- Stay cautious of anyone calling, and representing themselves as an IRS agent in order to get vital tax information out of you. Note to self, the IRS never calls you.
- Seniors must stay alert for phone calls or invites from medical institutions. Many of which may turn out to be fake, and whose sole purpose is to gather personal information from seniors. Information that can then be utilized to steal money.
- Seniors who browse the internet are highly susceptible to popup ads. Popup ads have become increasingly common on the web nowadays. It’s important to pay attention to advertisements that are offering a deal too sweet to be true. More often than not, popups are used to compromise your personal computer and to steal sensitive information from you.
- With recent technological developments, it is becoming increasingly important to educate senior citizens as to the ways in which they can remain safe while utilizing the internet.
Be careful when browsing the internet
Not only senior citizens, but a lot of people become involved in scams without their knowing of it. There are plenty of people online who want to steal your identity, personal information, as well as financial data in order to benefit themselves. That’s why it’s important to stay aware of internet scams, and regular schemes in general. This is crucial in order to protect yourself and stay out of harm’s way.
We at Bestland aim to take care and provide our residents with impeccable security. In an age of increasing technological progression, internet and telephone scams are becoming increasingly more popular and efficient in their unethical goals. We believe that senior citizens must be aware of the ways through which they can be scammed, lose their livelihood, or just be placed in an uncomfortable situation.
It’s important for senior citizens to voice their concerns regarding suspicious activity. Maintaining proper communication with professionals, advisors, and your family members are very important in order to avoid getting scammed.
We hope that this article helped you understand the different scams that are most effective and popular in today’s day and age. Please remain vigilant and careful, never be afraid to seek the help of those you trust. We at Bestland, are here to provide you with safety and confidence for all your Coeur d’Alene Retirement Communities needs. Learn more information about Bestland Senior Living Community by following this link: Searching for a Senior Living Community